Engineering / Maintenance Manager
Reporting directly to the Plant manager, the Engineering / Maintenance manager is responsible for planning and directing all maintenance activities to ensure that work is conducted in a safe, secure, efficient and cost effective manner. This role will work in close collaboration with corporate engineering, and advise and support the plant management team in day-to-day operations. Being the primary contact with the corporate engineering team, s/he acts as the plant’s lead technical manager providing guidance to the maintenance as well as the technical and continuous improvement departments. This position brings method, structure and consistency while ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements and our various engineering processes. This position partakes in the development of Leclerc Foods production growth by recommending equipment that ensures operational efficiency, safety, quality, and long-term profitability of the plant.
- As the direct link between the corporate Engineering management and the factory, the plant engineer has to be the technical manager guiding the maintenance, technical and improvement teams.
- Analyze technology, resource needs, and market demand to plan and assess feasibility and equipment. Accept ownership of all automation initiatives.
- Prepare bid packages, worth with Purchasing on contracts, and manage contractor engineering activities;
- Develop sound and cost effective solutions to problems facing the operations team. Assess the feasibility and soundness of proposed engineering solutions to include serving as the liaison with engineering consulting service, vendors and the corporate engineering management.
- Prepare capital investment requests by determining the best equipment design and/or facility layout, developing estimates and provide justification for the expenditure
- Manage contractor engineering activities and oversee management of delivery schedules, warranties, liquidated damages, and performance guarantees;
- Coordinate start-up and commissioning of new equipment with operations;
- Test newly installed machines and equipment to ensure fulfillment of contract specifications;
- Maintain plant in a safe and productive state to ensure compliance with health and safety standards in order to achieve maximum productivity;
- Review budget projections for current and upcoming projects and schedule forecasts to ensure plant projects are completed on-time and on-budget;
- Provide engineering support to maintain, after, or curtail operations during emergencies;
- Analyze downtime, identify causes and recommend action plan for improvement;
- Collaborate and lead locally predictive and preventative maintenance plan;
- Identify and prioritize major maintenance issues with production and initiate and develop action plans to resolve issues in order to achieve maximum productivity;
- Manage and direct the maintenance department of the facility to achieve business objectives;
- Oversee maintenance activities and programs implementation to ensure compliance with all health and safety standards.
- Support the maintenance team on a daily basis and act as technical resource;
- Implement and manage routine systems for technical problem solving and accountability;
- Collaborate and communicate with other plant management team members on various technical and key performance issues;
- Pursue improvement opportunities and provide technical support for capital improvements;
- Promote and enhance a positive and safe working environment through teamwork and high level of employee involvement.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Industrial or a related Engineering field or equivalent work experience;
- Have 8 + years of relevant experience combining technical and management experience, preferably in a food manufacturing / fast pace environment;
- Knowledge of GFSI / BRC, SQF, GMP and other food safety standard including HACCP or similar food industry regulations is preferable;
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability for decision making under pressure;
- Strong oral and written communication skills, excellent judgment, strong sense of ethics & integrity, result oriented;
- Excellent people skills, maintain a positive attitude and ability to motivate people, specifically mentoring and coaching individuals;
- Ability to adapt operational changes;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, challenging, and consistently changing environment;
- Efficient at handling multiple priorities;
- Be familiar with SAP or other ERP system;
- Experience using Microsoft Office and other computer based application (I pad, One Note, etc.);
- Experience with AutoCAD is a plus;
- Strong knowledge of mechanics, pneumatics, hydraulics, instrumentation and control;
- Excellent manual dexterity;
- Strong physical endurance;
- Ability to stand for long periods of time;
- Flexible with work hours and be able to work weekends when needed;
- This position has been identified as a safety sensitive position within Leclerc Foods USA, Inc.
Must be able to push/pull a maximum force of 55 lb
- Must be able to lift from floor to waist 52 lbs. 33% of the time.
- Must be able to lift from waist to shoulder 52 lbs 33% of the time.